Kindness is good. It is defined as the quality of being friendly, generous and considerate toward others. However, there are people who believe kindness is a sign of weakness. They believe it is a compromise. They believe that what they believe is more important than being kind to others.
Ultimately, this goes against everything that Jesus teaches. After all, He said the two greatest commandments were to love God and love your neighbors and that everything else falls under these. In other words, we can forget about all the minutiae of right and wrong and strive to love others and love God and trust Jesus when He says everything falls under that.
Ready to get started? Here are five tips for being kind to others:
- Smile more — A simple smile can warm someone’s heart, especially in places where people tend to be cold, such as fast-food restaurants or the DMV.
- Listen to others — Actively listen and try to understand what a person is communicating to you. Don’t make the very common mistake of listening to another person to only build up your response. Hear what they’re saying and make it known to them that you hear them.
- Look for ways to promote peace — Look for ways to bring peace into whatever situation you’re involved in, not to stoke conflict.
- Reach out — Invite new people to hang out with your friends. Reach out to people who are alone or struggling.
- Serve without being asked — Offer to clean up after dinner. Offer to help a friend with something they need. Serving without being asked is a great way to show someone you care about them.
Listen to Unfiltered Radio to discover what it’s like to try to be an authentic follower of Jesus in the modern world
At Unfiltered Radio, we’re all about exploring what it means to authentically follow Jesus and wrestle with the hard questions in life. Check out our podcast to listen to daily episodes about personal growth, spiritual growth and talking about hard questions about God.